Women’s Golf Looks to Build Upon Its Record Breaking Momentum Heading Into the Kiawah Island Classic
By Ryan Frye, Morehead State Athletic Media Relations
MOREHEAD, Ky. – Looking to build upon the momentum of eclipsing a nine-year-old program record for lowest 18-hole team score in the final round of the Mid-American Challenge, Morehead State women’s golf sets its sites on the Kiawah Island Classic.
The Eagles final round 185 at the Mid-American Challenge established a new benchmark for single-round team scoring, being just the fourth sub-290 team round in program history. The round bested the program’s 287 final round from the 2012 WCU Great Smokies Intercollegiate.
Each of the five Eagles in this week’s tournament lineup enters the Kiawah Island Classic off their best individual rounds of the season, including redshirt senior Bridget Connolly and fifth-year Gypsie Hutchinson who enter off of rounds below par (70; two-under).
Sophomore MacKenzie Neal also enters after capturing Ohio Valley Conference Golfer of the Week honors for the first time in her career after finishing tied for 18th at the Mid-American Challenge.
Morehead State opens play at the Kiawah Island Classic with an 11:15 a.m. ET tee time on the Kiawah Island Golf Resort – Cougar Point course. The Eagles tee off at 8:40 a.m. Monday on the Kiawah Island – Oak Point course.
Course: Kiawah Island Golf Resort – Cougar Point Golf Course / Kiawah Island Golf Resort – Oak Point Golf Course (Kiawah Island, S.C.)
Yardage (Par): 5,991 yards (72) [Cougar Point] / 5,958 yards (72) [Oak Point]
Teams (41): Alabama State, Austin Peay, Boston College, Butler, The Citadel, College of Charleston, Dallas Baptist, Dayton, Delaware, Delaware State, Detroit Mercy, East Tennessee State, Eastern Michigan, Elon, Indiana State, IUPUI, Jacksonville State, James Madison, Lipscomb, Longwood, Missouri State, Morehead State, Murray State, North Alabama, Northern Illinois, Oakland, Oral Roberts, Presbyterian, Radford, Samford, Stetson, Tennessee Tech, Towson, UNC Asheville, UNC Greensboro, USC Upstate, UT Arlington, Western Carolina, William & Mary, Wofford, Youngstown State
1. MacKenzie Neal (So., Richmond, Ky.)
2. Olivia Hensley (Fr., Ashland, Ky.)
3. Bridget Connolly (R-Sr., Auckland, New Zealand)
4. Gypsie Hutchinson (5th, Lexington, Ky.)
5. Hailey Rietz (So., Rancho Cordova, Calif.)
LAST TIME OUT
Morehead State (305-302-285-892) – 6th
MacKenzie Neal (74-75-72-221) – t-18th
Bridget Connolly (78-74-70-222) – t-21st
Olivia Hensley (74-77-73-224) – t-28th
Gypsie Hutchinson (79-76-70-225) – t-31st
Hailey Rietz (81-77-77-235) – t-51st
- MacKenzie Neal enters the week after capturing her first career Ohio Valley Conference Golfer of the Week Award for the week of Feb. 11. She teamed with men’s golf’s Zac Viminitz to secure Morehead State’s first-ever sweep of the conference’s weekly awards.
- Morehead State’s final round 285 at the Mid-American Challenge marked the lowest 18-hole round in program history. It was just the fourth time the Eagles have broken 290 while marking the 53rd sub-300 round in program history.
- In the season’s first event, Morehead State had four golfers rank in the top-20 in the field in Par-5 scoring as Bridget Connolly paced the group placing second in Par-5 scoring at the Mid-American Challenge.
- Neal and Connolly each ranked highly in Par-3 scoring at the Mid-American Challenge also, with Neal finishing 10th in the field in Par-3 scoring.
- Neal also concluded the Mid-American Challenge ranked second in the field in total pars, carding 41.