Women’s Tennis | February 27, 2021
LOS ANGELES–The No. 17 USC women’s tennis team upset No. 13 Oklahoma State 6-1 today (Feb. 27) at Marks Stadium. The Women of Troy hold a 6-3 record for the 2021 season.
The Cowgirls made the first move of the match as No. T34 Miyamoto/Thamchaiwat defeated the Trojan pair of Cayetano/Cheong 6-2 on court one. USC’s Dvorak/Willson responded with a win for Troy from court three by beating Oklahoma State’s Detkovskaya /Medvedeva 6-4. The doubles point rested on the result of court two.
After a back-and-forth battle between USC’s Ewing/McKee and Oklahoma State’s Stara/Wolfberg on court two, the Trojans made the final push to win the set 7-6 (8) and defeat the Cowgirls to take the doubles point. USC led 1-0 overall entering singles.
The Trojans continued to play strong in singles. Freshman No. 103 Naomi Cheong swiftly defeated Cowgirl No. 105 Alana Wolfberg 6-4, 6-1 on court one, and almost immediately after, junior Danielle Willson finished her match with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Oklahoma State’s Dariya Detkovskaya. USC improved to a 3-0 lead.
Redshirt senior Summer Dvorak clinched the match for the Women of Troy with her 6-4, 6-3 win over Cowgirl Lenka Stara on court five. This is Dvorak’s second clinch of the season.
Although the match was clinched by the Trojans, the remaining courts were played out. Junior Salma Ewing notched another win on the 2021 season with a 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4) victory over Oklahoma State’s No. 77 Ayumi Miyamoto on court three. After today’s win, Ewing is now riding a five-match winning streak.
On court two, Trojan sophomore No. 48 Eryn Cayetano fell in a tight match to Cowgirl No. 24 Bunyawi Thamchaiwat 7-5, 7-6 (4).
After a full three-set match, redshirt senior Clare McKee closed out the day on a positive note as she put the final point on the board for Troy with a 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 victory over Cowgirl Daniella Medvedeva on court six.
Up next, USC will travel out of state for the first time this season to challenge the Washington Huskies on March 5 at 1:30 p.m. PT in Seattle, and then take on the Washington State Cougars on March 7 at 11 a.m. PT in Pullman, Wash.
USC 6, Oklahoma State 1
February 27, 2021 – Marks Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
- #T34 Miyamoto/Thamchaiwat (Ok. St.) def. Cayetano/Cheong (USC) – 6-2
- Ewing/McKee (USC) def. Stara/Wolfberg (Ok. St.) – 7-6 (8)*
- Dvorak/Willson (USC) def. Detkovskaya /Medvedeva (Ok. St.) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2*
USC wins the doubles point
- #103 Naomi Cheong (USC) def. #105 Alana Wolfberg (Ok. St.) – 6-4, 6-1
- #24 Bunyawi Thamchaiwat (Ok. St) def. #48 Eryn Cayetano (USC) – 7-5, 7-6 (4)
- Salma Ewing (USC) def. #77 Ayumi Miyamoto (Ok. St.) – 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)
- Danielle Willson (USC) def. Dariya Detkovskaya (Ok. St.) – 6-4, 6-1
- Summer Dvorak (USC) def. Lenka Stara (Ok. St.) – 6-4, 6-3*
- Clare McKee (USC) vs. Daniella Medvedeva (Ok. St.) – 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5*, 3, 2, 6