LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky women’s tennis team battled until the sixth point was decided, as Kentucky lost to No. 21 Auburn in a 4-2 decision on Sunday afternoon inside the Hilary J. Boone tennis Center. The Wildcats moved to a 9-2 record this season, including a 1-2 mark in the Southeastern Conference.
Kentucky lost the doubles point for the first time this season, snapping a streak of 10 straight doubles points since the start of the spring schedule. The Wildcats own a 21-4 record in the doubles competition.
Despite dropping two doubles matches to give up the doubles point, one tandem shined per usual, as Akvile Paražinskaite and Fiona Arrese upset No. 11 Selin Ovunc and Taylor Russo on the No. 1 doubles court in a 6-3 outcome. It marked the duo’s second ranked doubles triumph of the season, and their first over a top-15 pairing. The twosome advanced to an 8-0 record on the first doubles court this spring.
Paražinskaite had a strong night all around, as the graduate student also upset No. 62 Selin Ovunc on the No. 1 singles court in a 6-2, 6-4 decision, marking her second ranked singles triumph of the season. Paražinskaite improved to a 11-0 record on the first singles court, becoming the only current player with an undefeated record on both disciplines this season.
Before that, Elizabeth Stevens fell to Georgie Axon in a 6-1, 6-4 outcome on the fourth court. Then, Lesedi Jacobs fell to Carolyn Ansari in a 6-4, 7-5 outcome on the third court.
Carlota Molina rallied from behind to defeat Yu Chen on the second court, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. The sophomore advanced to an impressive 9-1 record on the No. 2 singles court this spring.
Courts Nos. 5 and 6 we’re battling it out in the closing stretch, but it was Tiger Adeline Flach that pulled out the match-winning point for No. 21 Auburn. She rallied past Maialen Morante in a 7-6 (3), 6-2 decision on the sixth court to seal the deal, helping the Tigers win, 4-2.
In its next appearance, Kentucky will go on the road to Columbia, Missouri, to face Missouri on Friday, March 5 at 1 p.m. ET inside the Mizzou Tennis Complex.
Kentucky 2, Auburn 4
February 28, 2021
Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center
1. Akvile Parazinskaite (UK) def. #62 Selin Ovunc (AU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Carlota Molina (UK) def. Yu Chen (AU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Carolyn Ansari (AU) def. Lesedi Jacobs (UK) 6-4, 7-5
4. Georgie Axon (AU) def. Elizabeth Stevens (UK) 6-1, 6-4
5. Carla Girbau (UK) vs. #99 Taylor Russo (AU) 6-1, 5-7, 2-3, unfinished
6. Adeline Flach (AU) def. Maialen Morante (UK) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
1. Akvile Parazinskaite/Fiona Arrese (UK) def. #11 Selin Ovunc/Taylor Russo (AU) 6-3
2. Georgie Axon/Adeline Flach (AU) def. Carla Girbau/Elizabeth Stevens (UK) 6-3
3. Carolyn Ansari/Madeline Meredith (AU) def. #57 Lesedi Jacobs/Anastasia Tkachenko (UK) 7-5
For the latest on the Kentucky women’s tennis program, follow @UKWomensTennis on Twitter and on Instagram, on Facebook and on the web at UKathletics.com.